Monday, March 10, 2008

String Orchestra

We had our String Orchestra concert tonight. It was a great concert. Not amazing and not perfect, but still great. And now that it's over, I'm starting to realize how much I'll miss it.

I realize now that I may never get the chance to play music like that ever again. Music like Tchaikovsky's Serenade for Strings, an outstandingly challenging yet rewarding piece to play, and verily listen to. I realize I may never play with that many people again, people that I have gotten to know because the groups relatively small. It's sad to think that this could be "the end."
---
Oh, quick tangent-ish thing.

All the guys had to wear suits and ties for the concert. The hot German guy at the back of the second violins brought his change of clothes (he has the sexiest arms, and his body overall looks great underneath it all, and the accent's always a plus). I went back to the room where our cases were to quickly rosin my bow right after the warm-up and before the concert. Just as I was about to leave, SR-F came in to get something. Then the German guy came in to change. He was taking off his sweater and was about to take off his pants to change. Then SR-F (obliviously) was like, "I don't remember the way back to the stage from here without walking all the way around. Can you show me?" Grrr. He was changing right in front of us! Oh well.
---
Anyway, back to the main topic. I'm just sad to see it end. I don't think I'll get a chance to play in such a group in med/grad school and beyond. A small ensemble - like a trio or quartet - maybe, but not a chamber or full orchestra group. And this experience is one of the defining experiences of my life since 5th grade. It's end is somewhat . . . anti-climatic.

I listen to pieces I've already played in the past, or pieces I would've liked to play, and I'm struck by an overwhelming nostalgia. Those were the days. Not even all the research I've done makes me this nostalgic for it. I think it's because it is music. And music brings out emotions and memories in people that not too many other things can. And to play music, to let it infuse you and channel through you, that's a special experience. Granted, on stage with the anxiety that comes with it, it's sometimes difficult to feel the music at first. But, it always comes.

I think my friend MW-F put it best, something like: "Music's like a natural high. It can make you feel so good." She's actually not that far off there. There are some studies suggesting that music sometimes releases more endorphins in the brain than eating really good food or even from sex. So music has the potential (doesn't mean it always does) to trump however good food and sex can make people feel. It's sad to say she's no longer with us (she became a nun, seriously). I miss those orchestra and trio days with her. I hope wherever she is, she's still enjoying the music of her viola.

Okay, enough nostalgia and being an orch dork.

No comments: