Thursday, March 13, 2008

I Took a Pregnancy Test!

It's true, I did . . . in my animal physiology lab. So, the home pregnancy tests test for the presence of the hormone HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) which is produced by the embryo as it implants itself in the endometrium of the uterus. Apparently, men with cancer also have this hormone because as cancer attempts to implant itself in the body (where it shouldn't be), it secretes HCG as well. The embryo can be thought of as a "tumor," but one that is controlled.

So we had three samples to test, none were human urine (which we thought was lame). We had a solution without HCG, a solution with a little HCG, and a solution with a lot of HCG. Then we took the pregnancy sticks. There were no instructions on how to use them, on either the packages or the lab manual. Yeah . . . it's rather funny as everyone looked to each other and was like, "Do you know how to use this?"

We eventually figured it out (after like, a minute). But still, it was rather amusing. Here we are, undergrads at one of the best universities in the nation, and we're not sure how to use a pregnancy stick. "Lol" is all I have to say.

-----

On something completely unrelated, I'm frustrated in almost every sense. Recently it feels like I've been spending more time with RZ-F. And the more time I spend with her, the more I want to be with her and the more I think I'm attracted to her. But I don't know. Sometimes I wonder, because every now and then we do things that, to an outsider, could almost seem like we're "dating" - like eating lunch together, or cooking for each other, or going to concerts together. It's too late at this point to start a "relationship" because really, it'll just have to end in about a month and a half when we graduate and disperse across the country. I'm not looking for a long-distance relationship, so why bother?

I also feel a bit sexually inactive in that it seems like I have a low sex drive. What little I have I don't know what to do with. I don't know what to do with myself!! Perhaps it's something deeply psychological, who knows. All I know is, I am lonely sometimes. I'm lonely in the sense that I want to hold someone, to hug someone uninhibitedly, to wake up next to someone. I have a somewhat erotic fantasy about this (the few I have), but I won't go into that right now. In any case, step 1 = getting into shape by losing about 20 lbs and making myself physically presentable.

Oh, I'm sleep-deprived. Not good.

No comments: