Saturday, January 5, 2008

And So It Begins (for the last time)

My last semester of undergrad began on Thursday. Break was way too short. Already I have a quiz in two classes and homework due in two classes, all on Monday. My professors are really jumping into things without delay. Fortunately, I don't have many books to buy this semester, so that's a lot of cash saved. And so it begins . . . for the last time.

I know I've said this before, but it feels weird. It feels as if the last 4 years passed me by while I stood still. Where have they gone?! I know I must've learned something, and I must've "grown up" at least a little. But in some ways, it doesn't feel like it. I know I've changed since coming to the university, but it's subtle and slow.

Here I am, in my last semester as a senior, and the most important things I've learned are Spanish, Chinese, and how to load DNA/protein gels (and sometimes why they do/don't work). I jest, obviously, as there are many things I've learned that I found useful, applicable either now or in the near-ish future. Still there are lots I wish I had the time to learn. I wish I could've learned more languages such as French, Japanese, Hindi, to name a few. I wish I could've minored in medical anthropology (which I technically could have, had I known that minor existed 2 years earlier) or Asian studies. I wish I had the chance to study abroad rather than just doing research every summer for 4 years, though I did enjoy my labs.

Would I have done things differently? Probably not. At most I would've taken some classes in a different order, not taken a couple, and taken others to fulfill a minor requirement. I liked the people I've met and the friends I've made. I can only wonder and imagine what it would've been like had I gone to UC Berkeley instead for undergrad (for one, I would be in a lot of debt). If anything, I wish I had come across such blogs much earlier and gone through this earlier, rather than at the end when I'm about to part ways with most (if not all) of my friends, spatially across the US and the world.

Anyway, as a "kickoff-of-sorts" to the beginning of this semester, I made sushi with SR-F and JW-F. We made LOTS of sushi (some shrimp sushi, the rest were chicken). I took the leftover ingredients with me so I could make sushi tomorrow; I'll take a picture of it when I'm done before I eat it, haha. I ate so much sushi that I still felt completely stuffed like 5 hours later. It's kind of amazing how much sushi one can eat without noticing until it's "too late."

4 comments:

Matt in Argyle said...

Enjoy your last semester! I know that I loved my last semester as an Undergrad, but it was very busy and easy to 'forget' about doing work.

Mike said...

Good luck in your last semester!!! I'm a little jealous; I have 2 quarters left

I know what you mean about professors already in the swing of things- started school Friday and homework and a quiz tomorrow morning. EEEK.

J.R. said...

Enjoy the home stretch, man! Ah, I miss college... And hey, don't regret too much not having done all of this sooner. I wish I would have done it in college, but I waited until a few years after... Missed out on a lot of great times, but the important times are the ones ahead.

Nothing Golden Stays

W said...

I hope you take away many fond memories of your last term as an undergrad. Goodluck!